Sol Trader forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
JoshParnell

Avatar / Picture

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #1 
Hey Chris, I know I've already said it but brilliant work man, this game is already great and, given how open you've made it to modding, seems like it's going to have an incredibly-bright future [smile]

I have a couple of questions:

1. What hard-coded data is NOT exposed via the data/*.csv 'moddable' files?

For example, for the life of me, I can't find anything related to how ship modules are generated / their stats (which I'd really like to find, because with the latest patch the huge boost to linear acceleration of even bad engines is making it exceptionally hard for me to pilot!!)  Is this hard-coded?  If so, is there any chance you could give us a brief overview of what 'important data' IS hard-coded (and whether it will remain that way)?

2. Are there some old / unused files in data/* If not, can you give us an idea of what the contents of the 'mysterious' ones are?

Based on hex viewing and educated guesses, it looks to me like ships.soltraderblueprints, components.soltradercomponentmodels, and tiles.soltradertiles are all old / unused.

The same seems true for some of the .yml and .txt files.

So, am I wrong in thinking that some of the contents of data/ are legacy files?  If so, any chance you could give us a brief idea of what those other files are / why some of their data seems to be incongruent with the .csv files?

---

Thanks a bunch!  Sol Trader is currently my preferred break-from-coding activity!  Once again, awesome job.

PS ~ I imagine you've got something like this on your todo list, but I'm about done with a simple Sol Trader Mod Manager for my own use that encompasses some really simple python scripts to perform intelligent cell-by-cell differentials on original / modded csvs and can re-apply them with some amount of version-change tolerance (I put it together because new releases are coming very frequently, but I wanted to maintain some of the changes I had made, like longer hours at banks and markets, that kind of thing).  If this is something you are interested in and would like me to make available publicly, I'd be happy to do so, else I'll await an official tool with great anticipation! [smile]
0
chrismdp

Avatar / Picture

Sol Trader creator
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshParnell
Hey Chris, I know I've already said it but brilliant work man, this game is already great and, given how open you've made it to modding, seems like it's going to have an incredibly-bright future [smile]



Thanks so much, that's really encouraging - been a tough 24 hours with all the bugs...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshParnell


I have a couple of questions:

1. What hard-coded data is NOT exposed via the data/*.csv 'moddable' files?

For example, for the life of me, I can't find anything related to how ship modules are generated / their stats (which I'd really like to find, because with the latest patch the huge boost to linear acceleration of even bad engines is making it exceptionally hard for me to pilot!!)  Is this hard-coded?  If so, is there any chance you could give us a brief overview of what 'important data' IS hard-coded (and whether it will remain that way)?



The engine/weapon specs and costs are hard-coded. I will definitely change this in a future update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshParnell


2. Are there some old / unused files in data/* If not, can you give us an idea of what the contents of the 'mysterious' ones are?

Based on hex viewing and educated guesses, it looks to me like ships.soltraderblueprints, components.soltradercomponentmodels, and tiles.soltradertiles are all old / unused.

The same seems true for some of the .yml and .txt files.



That's correct. I just didn't have time to clear out the workspace just before releasing. All the unused files will go away next update. (Binaries, yml and old txt files). The CSV files are where it's at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshParnell


PS ~ I imagine you've got something like this on your todo list, but I'm about done with a simple Sol Trader Mod Manager for my own use that encompasses some really simple python scripts to perform intelligent cell-by-cell differentials on original / modded csvs and can re-apply them with some amount of version-change tolerance (I put it together because new releases are coming very frequently, but I wanted to maintain some of the changes I had made, like longer hours at banks and markets, that kind of thing).  If this is something you are interested in and would like me to make available publicly, I'd be happy to do so, else I'll await an official tool with great anticipation! [smile]


Please do stick it up somewhere - that would be brilliant. Give me the URL and I'll link to it. Thinking about making my own tools, (I get by with a text editor/Numbers, and git for source control - but that won't work for everyone.)

Chris

__________________
Chris Parsons
http://soltrader.net
0
Paul

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #3 
Are ships hard coded too? I was looking for a way to add ships. Just adding them to the list of ship_types doesn't seem to do anything, and I don't see a way to tell it what graphics file to use for which ships.

And I would guess goods are also hard coded. Attempting to add a new one resulted in a crash.

So far the only thing I have noticed that I can reliably add is cities and planets and jump gates.

And I don't see where to tell it what graphics to use for a  planet, so they all look like asteroids.
0
chrismdp

Avatar / Picture

Sol Trader creator
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #4 
There's currently no way to add new graphics. That's something I'll sort out as soon as possible.

Good are not hard coded, but you need to add in strings or you'll get crashes.

Adding ships in should work, but strings are needed, and you cannot yet add graphics for them.

I'll write more about how to mod as soon as I can.


__________________
Chris Parsons
http://soltrader.net
0
Paul

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #5 
Ah. I added a ship with all the appropriate strings, and it never appeared in shipyards in my new games. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Adding a good returns this error:
materialStore->count < ArrayCount(state->referenceData->material)
...\workspace\src\newstate.cpp:722)

That's with adding it to the goods file and its name to the strings file. Sounds like the number of goods is hard coded somewhere.

No rush on it, I was just curious if it was possible in the current build.
0
chrismdp

Avatar / Picture

Sol Trader creator
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #6 
Actually those errors are bogus - I've just removed them. Try in the new build released today.

Short version: to add a good:

  • Add line to goods.csv
  • Add <GOOD>_NAME string to strings.csv
  • Add prices entries in city_prices.csv

Ship:

  • Add line to ships.csv
  • Add <SHIP>_NAME to strings.csv
  • Wait until I allow you to mod in different graphics [smile]
Chris

__________________
Chris Parsons
http://soltrader.net
0
JoshParnell

Avatar / Picture

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #7 
Sweet, more possibilities every day [smile] Thanks Chris!
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: