Sol Trader forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
chrismdp

Avatar / Picture

Sol Trader creator
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #16 
Zeno: Yep it's coming!

Hmm looks like it's possible that there's something wrong with that particular build: will check tomorrow morning and release another one.

__________________
Chris Parsons
http://soltrader.net
0
chrismdp

Avatar / Picture

Sol Trader creator
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #17 
My responses to the latest round of feedback!

Quote:
I think 500$ for a Parcel Mission from a Planet to Another is a bit over the Top i made about 6000$ from one flight Mars -> Earth alone with Parcel Missions (Maybe if they need some Cargo Space i would be a bit more Balanced)


Agreed - will reduce the prices.

Quote:
1). The tutorial does not like it if you click through using next - it disables all of the buttons you need - for example, portrait, city, social tabs etc unless you click them exactly when it says so. 


This is weird - the disabling should have come out of the build already. I'll check and release another build to make sure.

Quote:
2). Started on Earth, went to the university of Tokyo - couldn't talk to anyone even though there were 3 people present? 


This isn't unexpected. Some of these people were probably busy: you can't talk to everyone in a location. I think I probably need a tutorial line that explains this!

Quote:
3). Minor text issue - it reads: "You chat briefly about the time A girl named Maude was born" - should be a lower case A. 


Fixed.

Quote:
5). Again, Earth, went to 35 Capifast St as it was showing 1 person present - nobody there! 


That's odd - it's possible that the city layout hasn't been updated. I'll make sure it gets updated more often.

Quote:
- It would be nice to have the planet name after the location at the top. I know I just travelled to Mars and there is a nice picture, but some other sense that I'm in a new place would be good. Also, what about subtly different UI designs or colour schemes for different planets? Might be a nice feature.


Will add the planet name. Would like to change the colours eventually!

Quote:
- I arrived to Mars late at night and found my Mission locations not present. I worked out that I needed to wait a few hours for stuff to open, but maybe rather than hiding locations completely, you could include them at the bottom of the list with 'Closed' on the link in red. That way you think, 'Oh, it's too early' and feel happy exploring while you wait. I like the idea of things being closed, it encourages you to explore a place and make some relationships, rather than being able to complete missions instantly.


Yep that's already on the list - show them as closed with a 'time until open'

Quote:
- The 'last seen' descriptions on people can be too long and overrun the boxes. eg. Clyde Banvell-Cairns on Mars Asimov prison.
Quote:
4). Hector Amerihn-Semple is dead - his 'Deceased' status is pasted over the top of the word 'husband'. 


Yeah, these formatting issues occasionally come up. I might well reduce the point size of that text to make sure it appears.

Thanks for all the feedback!

__________________
Chris Parsons
http://soltrader.net
0
PrinceAnduril

Member
Registered:
Posts: 65
Reply with quote  #18 
More general comments. I'll post bugs in separate threads:

  • The tutorial box could perhaps be better in the center of the 'Ships Landed' box. I know it's centered but it looks a bit messy overlaying the scroll bar
  • It's a bit annoying having 'Closed' buildings at the top of the list. It's good to see them there, but would be sensible to have them snap to the bottom. It would also be good for buildings to reorder by fullness as people come and go. Maybe not automatically, but to have a sort button might be nice.
  • Minor bug, so I'll add it here. If you visit someone (like Maud Murname at Port Fira) who has no patience for the first time, the chat tutorial comes up, which is a bit odd when you can't do anything. Perhaps you shouldn't be able to chat to people with 0 patience at all.
  • The Close button in conversations should switch to the right when you finish a tutorial section. I keep hitting 'Previous' at the end of each one.
  • Mostly, when I press for info, I get when people were born. Not usually the first thing people mention!
  • My first cousin's name is Dung. Interesting!
  • Shouldn't my wife's home be described as my home?
  • When trying to Engage a jump gate, it would be good to have it appear instantly. Often I try and click as I fly by, but as it is still loading it doesn't work right away.
  • People working at military bases don't have ranks, just names. Would be more realistic to see Pvt so-and-so on the front desk.
  • You should get more money for longer distant missions. On the Mars missions for example, you get the same fee for travelling to Earth or Venus.
  • It would be great if the tone chosen for conversations had an effect on the content. Simply pressing for info on people can get a bit bland. Maybe flirt should bring up a different request to oblige etc.
0
Ernesto505

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #19 
So I have played about an hour trying to speak with as much characters as possible and traveling between planets fulfilling missions and doing some trading. In general I didn't pay much attention to the Tutorial skipping quickly through the popups.

My suggestions:

1) I think it would be interesting especially for the Kickstarter Demo to have some kind of story missions. They could be encountered while talking to characters and it doesn't need to be that obvious what to do to get them but I think it would be a nice suprise to talk to a character and give you an option that is different from the randomly generated missions that you get normally. This story mission could be a link of 4-5 missions that will give a better feel of the world and basically give you the chance as a developer to showcase what you want inside the game. I am not sure if something like this exists already as I haven't encountered it yet. In that case please ignore this :-)

2) I noticed that some of the tutorial popups give information about your plans for the game. My suggestion would be make more of them! This demo is a game but also a presentation. I was reading your popups and I caught myself playing and enhancing the game with my imagination with all the things that will be there. Some more nice popups that explain your vision for the game I think they wouldn't annoy anyone and they could make more a clear case of why you ask for money.  

In general I liked the UI, simple and intuitive in general, the openness of the world and how you leave freedom to the player to explore the world. I believe the movement of the ship needs a bit tweaking alhtough I haven't nailed yet what feels a bit off.

That is all from me for now. I would spend a bit more time with the game and I will come back with more feedback.
0
PrinceAnduril

Member
Registered:
Posts: 65
Reply with quote  #20 
Another little one, occasionally when you ask where someone was last seen, the chat says "So-and-so was last seen in Location: Port Fira" might be good if you could remove the 'location' bit to make it read better.
0
chrismdp

Avatar / Picture

Sol Trader creator
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
1) I think it would be interesting especially for the Kickstarter Demo to have some kind of story missions. They could be encountered while talking to characters and it doesn't need to be that obvious what to do to get them but I think it would be a nice suprise to talk to a character and give you an option that is different from the randomly generated missions that you get normally. This story mission could be a link of 4-5 missions that will give a better feel of the world and basically give you the chance as a developer to showcase what you want inside the game. I am not sure if something like this exists already as I haven't encountered it yet. In that case please ignore this :-)


Interesting thoughts. The game world is entirely random and there are no story missions right now. I'd love to have the ability to chain missions together like this, and even better have the community mod in their own mission chains! ...but it's quite a lot of work to add in so it won't make the demo.

Quote:
2) I noticed that some of the tutorial popups give information about your plans for the game. My suggestion would be make more of them! This demo is a game but also a presentation. I was reading your popups and I caught myself playing and enhancing the game with my imagination with all the things that will be there. Some more nice popups that explain your vision for the game I think they wouldn't annoy anyone and they could make more a clear case of why you ask for money.  


Good idea. I'll add a few things: like a note about possible story missions above!

Quote:
In general I liked the UI, simple and intuitive in general, the openness of the world and how you leave freedom to the player to explore the world. I believe the movement of the ship needs a bit tweaking alhtough I haven't nailed yet what feels a bit off. 


Yes, agreed. It doesn't feel great to fly yet and I'll spend some more time with it tweaking the controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceAnduril
Another little one, occasionally when you ask where someone was last seen, the chat says "So-and-so was last seen in Location: Port Fira" might be good if you could remove the 'location' bit to make it read better.


Good idea. Fixed.

__________________
Chris Parsons
http://soltrader.net
0
danlucraft

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #22 

I played for 1 hour on OS X 10.10.5, everything worked fine, no bugs I could see.

Gameplay thoughts I had while playing:

  • I have to be a mixed race character? Is that a law in this universe or something? Oh, actually there is one set of parents who are both white.
  • Names names names names names. So many similar feeling names. So far I'm not really paying attention to any of them, even my own.
  • Did you hear about the time Namey McName was raised by their mother Name Named-Nameson?Cool story bro.
  • $40 to deliver a parcel to Mars?? I guess I'll stock up on a bunch of parcels and do a job lot.
  • Hey chap I’ll take all your parcels! Not just one! Damn.
  • Recipient is at some place on Mars but it's 12am so it's closed. Spend some time playing with ship handling and trying to ram other ships. Read Twitter for a while. Sometime in the morning it opens and I deliver my parcel
  • Job to deliver another parcel back to Tokyo. A woman called Risa is supposed to be a "courier" but spends her entire day in the same location marked as "Busy". In the evening she leaves (don't know if she was briefly not busy) and now I can't find her.
  • OK waited all night, checked every location in the city and now she is back in the same place and is Busy again. She doesn’t even break for lunch!
  • Hey, maybe I can ask her coworker for info on her, like where she goes after work… Nope.
  • When someone is my friend’s friend, it would be cool to be able to see the relationship connection.
  • OK gave up on that job for now.
  • To figure out how to travel to Mercury I actually pulled up a map of the solar system on google. I like that I had to do that.
  • AHH it’s 11pm again!! Place where I’m supposed to meet Denny Cullmer-Dean is closed.
  • There are two houses that house people from the Cullmer-Dean family. Maybe he’s there or I can ask them where he lives…
  • Nope and nope.
  • Wait!! I’m a Cullmer-Dean too! This is my sister's house! Good thing her family including her husband took her name rather than his.
  • You appear to have caught [your sister]’s attention with your flirting.” I’ll bet I have. “You feel like you have deepened your relationship”. I don’t like where this is going.
  • After our 2am flirting session in her house (while her husband sleeps??) my sister is now apparently “my friend” and my brother in law is now my “friend’s husband”. There is no longer any mention of the fact she’s my sister in the Bio pane, except by going into her story and clicking on the event where I was born in that.
  • Waiting all night again…
  • Great, it’s open, and the recipient is there. And he’s another flipping courier and he’s busy!!!!!!!!
  • If I'm a parcel courier in this game, which apparently I am, then leaving things at the front desk or asking to interrupt someone so I can grab a signature should be options.
Got to go now but will play some more later. I'll spend some more time reading my back story and stuff, I think that will help me get into the spirit of the game a little more.

Thanks Chris!
0
chrismdp

Avatar / Picture

Sol Trader creator
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #23 
Thanks Dan. You've hit a couple of bugs it looks like...

1. If you can complete a mission with someone, they should never be busy. That's a recently introduced bug.

2. "Your friend" shouldn't take precedence over "your sister"

I'll fix those.

There will be more types of missions in the final game. Did you read the little pop ups about it?

Cheers
Chris

__________________
Chris Parsons
http://soltrader.net
0
chrismdp

Avatar / Picture

Sol Trader creator
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #24 
These two bugs are now fixed and will be in the next build (just uploading)
__________________
Chris Parsons
http://soltrader.net
0
chrismdp

Avatar / Picture

Sol Trader creator
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #25 
Recent builds have introduced character generation into the mix. I'd be grateful for anyone who can to try it and let me know if it needs tweaking!

This build will hopefully go out to the press this week if it proves stable enough.

Thanks again for all your efforts!

Chris

__________________
Chris Parsons
http://soltrader.net
0
PrinceAnduril

Member
Registered:
Posts: 65
Reply with quote  #26 
Just played the latest build. One comment and bug.

Comment: If the game is going to press, it certainly needs a nice icon of the logo on the exe.
0
PrinceAnduril

Member
Registered:
Posts: 65
Reply with quote  #27 
Additional info. The music is very jerky (has only happened on recent builds). This rectifies when I minimise to Windows (Windows key), however, I still can't reload the game when I do this.
0
chrismdp

Avatar / Picture

Sol Trader creator
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #28 
That means you're not hitting the desired framerate. Is the music only jerky when generating, or at other particular times? Can you submit a separate thread about this?
__________________
Chris Parsons
http://soltrader.net
0
PrinceAnduril

Member
Registered:
Posts: 65
Reply with quote  #29 
Had a nice experience on a mission, where I showed up at 11pm and everywhere was closed. Went to a bar and found someone to deliver a package to. I spoke to them because they were a friend's friend, not because I remembered their name. It might be worth highlighting people who are mission people so you don't have to keep learning and remembering random names. Otherwise, if I hadn't chosen to speak to them, I miss the reward of turning up at the bar, which is what you want people to do if they turn up late at night.

Also, this may be in the non-beta pipeline, but with the story choices, it would be cool to have custom missions based on choices. At the moment, it feels that choices are a bit arbitrary and meaningless. But if I chose an academic route, then I could maybe get specialised academic missions. This probably will come under the 'Professions' module, but more generally, it would be great if the choices I made on start-up effected gameplay.

Additionally, I would like to be able to shape my character, which would give me different conversation options. So if I go down the idiot/antisocial route, then I would make a fool of myself in conversations more. It would be nice if there was a conversation difference between being an idiot who flunked school and works a menial job, to someone who did a Mathematics PhD
0
chrismdp

Avatar / Picture

Sol Trader creator
Registered:
Posts: 463
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceAnduril
Had a nice experience on a mission, where I showed up at 11pm and everywhere was closed. Went to a bar and found someone to deliver a package to. I spoke to them because they were a friend's friend, not because I remembered their name. It might be worth highlighting people who are mission people so you don't have to keep learning and remembering random names. Otherwise, if I hadn't chosen to speak to them, I miss the reward of turning up at the bar, which is what you want people to do if they turn up late at night.


Nice idea. One for the list.

Quote:
Also, this may be in the non-beta pipeline, but with the story choices, it would be cool to have custom missions based on choices. At the moment, it feels that choices are a bit arbitrary and meaningless. But if I chose an academic route, then I could maybe get specialised academic missions. This probably will come under the 'Professions' module, but more generally, it would be great if the choices I made on start-up effected gameplay.


Yes, this will come in the form of careers, which make certain missions available. This will be post-beta.

Quote:
Additionally, I would like to be able to shape my character, which would give me different conversation options. So if I go down the idiot/antisocial route, then I would make a fool of myself in conversations more. It would be nice if there was a conversation difference between being an idiot who flunked school and works a menial job, to someone who did a Mathematics PhD


Good ideas! Added to the list.

__________________
Chris Parsons
http://soltrader.net
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: